One of the top reasons for divorce is money or finances. It doesn’t get any easier when planning your couples vacations. How much are you willing to spend on a weekend getaway or a trip around the world? A travel budget is one of the most difficult topics to discuss, but one that is absolutely necessary to ensure your couples vacations is one you both cherish forever.
5 Tips to Enjoy a Couples Vacation
- Agree on a travel budget and promise to stick to it. Agreeing on the travel budget might be one of the hardest steps in addressing the money issue. Get it out of the way early on. There are plenty of resources available on the web for travel budgeting and costs of different countries.
- Consider the countries you will be visiting. The cost of living in each country can vary dramatically. The US Dollar is weak compared to the Euro and British Pound, but can be strong in SE Asia and many Latin America countries.
- Travel preferences will impact your costs. And if you disagree on what’s important to spend money on, it’s sure to cause an argument. If you prefer fancy dinners, but they prefer expensive adventures, you better work something out. Agree to let each other indulge occasionally, but remember to compromise. It works best if you both prefer the same things.
- When traveling for a week or longer on a tight travel budget, save for an expensive experience. Similar to how we save at home for a nice birthday dinner, consider splurging occasionally on a nice hotel or couples spa. If you are visiting Argentina, you must try their upscale steakhouses. When in Rome… Don’t miss out on the best things a place has to offer even if it costs a little. Just be sure to save for the event by being budget conscious leading up to the splurge that will leave great memories of your couples vacation.
- And last and probably most important after the economic collapse… don’t take couples vacations if you can’t afford it!
Familiarize yourself with the Couple Travel Tips 101?